[Bf-committers] Let us switch to git, pretty please

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Fri May 27 09:53:15 CEST 2011

Hi,
g.ulairi at gmail.com (2011-05-27 at 0929.04 +0600):
> I'm not sure switching the whole repo to git is a nice idea. Last time
> i've checked this it was very painful to work with libs/ repo cloned
> with git -- simple `git status` used to work ages. Maybe this is because
> of plenty of binary files, not sure. And size of that local cloned repo
> was also incredible big -- several gigabutes, iirc.

Yep, total is >3.5GB: .git/ ~1.5GB, blender/ <80MB, lib/ ~2GB. In some
OSes, only blender/ and lib/tests/ are useful (<120MB, plus whatever
.git would be). Anyway, git status is fast here... could it be one of
those cases that depends in the OS or filesystem?

> Git for codebase works really nice when you've got plenty of branches --
> no pain with all this re-branching and so. Simple `git rebase` and here
> we go. There's also advantage for releases -- tagging happens much nicer
> with git.

Speaking of different habits or workflow, some of the git tools work
better when using "git style". Take for example commit messages, first
line is vital for some tools as it is used as summary in many
places. Even commiting multiple topics as a single thing is
disencouraged, and commiting to a tag is just impossible (in svn it
works just because it is a branch, BTW). If you take other style,
things work (or not), but you are going to expend too much time
"fixing" the differences, and DVCS, everyone has to be own admin, so
to speak. So the questions is if changing the software is worth if the
methods stay the same.

[...]
> P.S. as one more disadvantage, we'll be unable to have that r<number> in
> splash screen. It could be short commit SHA, but not sure it'll be useful.

As useful as the svn rev number, show what was used to create the
binary. It can make older-newer checks impossible if no access to the
repo, but otherwise a minor problem.

GSR