[Bf-committers] Let us switch to git, pretty please

Nathan Letwory nathan at letworyinteractive.com
Fri May 27 09:08:18 CEST 2011

On 27.5.2011 9:26, Campbell Barton wrote:
> paroneayea and I discussed moving to GIT at length and he brought up
> some issues which we'd need to resolve.
>
> - binaries may need to be masked out of SVN history so the initial
> checkout of lib/ isn't huge, (paroneayea said its possible with
> filter-branch when making the switch but its not trivial).
> More general issue is how well it performs once we have 500mb+ of
> binary changes in GIT too.

http://gitorious.org/blenderprojects/blender |
http://gitorious.org/blenderprojects/blender.git

This is bf-blender trunk only.

> - bf-extensions would also need to be moved, expect its possible but
> another complication, how to merge and keep history for both - not
> sure on this one.

http://gitorious.org/blenderprojects/extensions |
http://gitorious.org/blenderprojects/extensions.git

This is entire bf-extensions.

> Another thing thats been discussed is having an SVN hook in our
> existing repo which keeps a GIT repo in sync. Currently the available
> GIT repos have some lag from trunk, With git matching trunk it would
> help us evaluate GIT without having to switch completely (interested
> in Nathan's opinion on this), it comes up from time to time as
> something we should do.

Running from my machine or directly with hook, whenever a new branch is
created syncing fullblender takes a day or two. Having this hosted on a
different machine than mine at home is always a good thing to look into.
The barebone repo is 1.83GB right now.

> As for moving to GIT (or any DVCS) - It would be good if people
> interested in evaluating this could make a local copy of the entire
> SVN repo to speed up tests and work out the necessary steps to move to
> see if we can even do this.
> Id like to look into this myself (hassling Marco for an account on the
> new SVN server now :) ).

As per my proposal, I wouldn't move svn.blender.org to DVCS, but keep it
like that, and have people use blender.git who want to use Git (and with
a local solution like svn+git, git-svn or any other bridge users even
don't need a publicly maintained, official(-ish) mirror).

/Nathan

- --
Nathan Letwory
Letwory Interactive | Studio Lumikuu