[Bf-committers] Let us switch to git, pretty please

Nathan Letwory nathan at blender.org
Fri May 27 08:59:14 CEST 2011

I don't see the added value in moving svn.blender.org to DVCS per sé,
but since we have had also ideas to use more stringent code review I'd
propose the following:

Developers (especially those we don't have commit right to current SVN)
who wish can start working by cloning from the master branch of
blender.git at gitorious.org/blenderprojects. Whenever they feel they
have a feature ready in a feature branch in their personal clone they
can prepare a patch and send it to codereview.appspot.com. Once accepted
the patch can be applied to SVN trunk on svn.blender.org. If we stay
with SVN, the same procedure still can apply for new features: create
patch when you're done, send to codereview, wait for LGTM, commit.

Whatever we choose, note that we'll very likely always have a select
group of developers who have write access (push access or whatever the
lingo for selected SCM is). Because of this I don't see it very useful
to change the SCM _on svn.blender.org_. We can use gitorious.org mirror,
developers can use svn+git, git-svn or any other way of doing Their
Thing locally, while maintaining a commit history. Using Git or Hg or
any other tool will not lessen the need for codereview, which is the
real bottleneck here.

So: gitorious.org/blenderprojects/blender.git for feature branches -
people can make personal clones, create N feature branches, prepare
patch and dance the review dance.

In the end we still have to handle merges and resolve conflicts, this
way it doesn't fall only to the designated person and we can have
codereview more closely involved in the entire development process.

Why blender.git? As Sergey already points out fullblender.git is *huge*,
close to TWO gigabytes worth of clone. That is just not nice, and will
need a lot of memory on pulls and pushes with changes in lib/* (or
you'll have to be very patient on machines with not that much RAM, very
patient - and hope the packing doesn't crash out).

I've used Git on Windows for a long time now and I must say that the
portable install of msys Git is good. The best tools IMO are gitk and
git gui (picking single lines from unstaged changes to commit is pretty
awesome), TortoiseGit somehow is very obscure to use.

/Nathan