[Bf-committers] Let us switch to git, pretty please

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 08:26:10 CEST 2011

paroneayea and I discussed moving to GIT at length and he brought up
some issues which we'd need to resolve.

- binaries may need to be masked out of SVN history so the initial
checkout of lib/ isn't huge, (paroneayea said its possible with
filter-branch when making the switch but its not trivial).
More general issue is how well it performs once we have 500mb+ of
binary changes in GIT too.

- bf-extensions would also need to be moved, expect its possible but
another complication, how to merge and keep history for both - not
sure on this one.

Another thing thats been discussed is having an SVN hook in our
existing repo which keeps a GIT repo in sync. Currently the available
GIT repos have some lag from trunk, With git matching trunk it would
help us evaluate GIT without having to switch completely (interested
in Nathan's opinion on this), it comes up from time to time as
something we should do.

As for moving to GIT (or any DVCS) - It would be good if people
interested in evaluating this could make a local copy of the entire
SVN repo to speed up tests and work out the necessary steps to move to
see if we can even do this.
Id like to look into this myself (hassling Marco for an account on the
new SVN server now :) ).

- Campbell