[Bf-committers] Copy Data Path and API doc organization

Bassam Kurdali bkurdali at freefactory.org
Thu May 19 17:48:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 09:31 +0200, Damir Prebeg wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It would be much more useful if we could copy full data path and not
> just the last part of it. For instance, If I copy data path of x
> render resolution, all I get is "render.resolution_x".

 The primary use for this is in the animation system/drivers, which does
not use full paths but drills down from datablock level (You specify the
datablock first). Simply making it full path is going to make it (more)
cumbersome to add drivers. maybe what you want is an option to copy the
datablock path from the top part of the properties editor? Not sure
about the scene ones as you (currently) can't reliably drive from them.
But that should change with new depgraph design.

 For the tooltips I have no opinion , though they might get quite
cumbersome for 99% of users if they displayed the full data path. maybe
if you could copy the path for the general context from the proprties
window, it would do what you want (in two steps)
(i.e. copy bpy.data.scenes['Scene'] from the top, type . in the text
editor, then copy propertyblahblah from the button.

For the rest of the stuff I can't comment; the docs work for me, in
fact, I find it much easier to navigate the api in 2.5 than it ever was
in 2.4 - I can't disagree more about that. Obviously they aren't working
for you though :(