[Bf-committers] Some ideas to improve the "Add-Ons" section

Jass gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Sun May 15 14:38:33 CEST 2011

I refer to external modules only, aka modules which are developed
completely independent from blender. IMHO the first 2 features
make pretty much sense for such external modules:

Feature 1: Allow for deinstalling a deactivated module.
Feature 2: Add an "update" button in the module descriptor

I do not see where blender would need to setup a central repository
to support these features as the update process would only involve to
call 2 URL's (one for checking, the other for retrieving the new module)
and this would only be done if these URL's actually would be defined
within the module and the user actually clicks the button(s) ...

IMHO the 3rd feature has nothing to do with package management,
but with user customization (again usability and user experience here):

Feature 3: Allow to add module customization parameters

And after reading the response from Jonathan, it appears to me that
having an implementation for feature 3 could even make feature 4
obsolete:

Feature 4: Allow for updating instead of reinstalling  a module.

Cheers,
Gaia