[Bf-committers] Some ideas to improve the "Add-Ons" section

Aurel W. aurel.w at gmail.com
Sun May 15 14:07:11 CEST 2011

You are essentially asking for full features of a package management
system. However, this would only be possible if we centralize the
distribution and release of scripts in some way.

We already do this to some amount with bundled scripts, which are
released with blender. Those are an official part of blender, even
though some are maintained more by external contributors. Those
scripts will be updated with the blender release itself anyway,
individual release cycles don't make any sense imho.

So we already have something like a central repository for scripts and
we make sure that those are maintained well and work. But we don't
want and can't do this for every existing script out there and
therefore those need to be maintained externally without the use of a
central repository, which allows for updates etc.

aurel