[Bf-committers] ASC-CDL test suite compliance

Andrew Hunter andrew at aehunter.net
Thu May 12 19:15:56 CEST 2011

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting this to both the blender development list and the blender
vfx list as I think it is relevant to both.

This package is meant to illustrate the current deficencies in Blender
with regards to 1) DPX handling [1], 2) color management and 3)
ASC-CDL compliance [2].

I am a freelance cinematographer with a hobby interest in both open
source software and post-production. I have had experience working
with a colorist on already mature color grading solutions for Linux
like Baselight and Davinci Resolve. I would love to see Blender's
power and flexibility as a 3D modeling and compositing solution be
extended to that of a colorist.

Even before that though, Blender needs to get it's ImageIO and color
management house in order.

With in this package you will find as follows:

 * Example .blend files.
 * Screenshots of the tested setup.
 * Reference DPX's and the .ccc list from the ASC-CDL reference
distribution included for convenience
 * Blender's output from the .blend files rendered as DPX

For reference I have used the iv utility from the OpenImageIO project
and their DPX implimentation as being correct and complete.

OpenImageIO can be obtained from https://sites.google.com/site/openimageio/

OpenImageIO was compiled from a recent trunk.

If I have made any errors or omissions, please let me know. I've did
this testing with the intent of sparking discussion.

http://files.aehunter.net/Blender/Blender%20ASC-CDL%20Tests.tar.gz

= Related Bug Reports =

27377 - Rendered DPX's do not match viewer [1]
27378 - ASC-CDL Color Balance Node does not allow for full range of values [2]

[1] http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=27377&group_id=9&atid=498
[2] http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498&aid=27378&group_id=9

Cheers,

Andrew