[Bf-committers] Cuda and/or OpenCL

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Mon May 9 21:41:07 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have an IT-architecture related question. As Blender Cycles uses Cuda,
and several other branches are using OpenCL, what will be the preferred
target GPU-Computing platform for Blender? Cuda, OpenCL, other or
developer choice.

They all have both pro's and con's and even a hybrid solution is
plausible, (NVidia implemented OpenCL on top of Cuda). but before I
continue with GPU-computing in the compositor branch I want to
understand the target(s) and the reasons why the target(s) is chosen to
be sure to create a production stable solution.

Jeroen.