[Bf-committers] Camera Guides

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon May 9 16:36:09 CEST 2011

Hi Cam,

Checked on patch and forum reviews. Improvement could be like;
- make drawtype option for empty 'Image', which will show new buttons
- without image block linked, it just draws the 1x1 unit square in wire.

Matt's thoughts & doubts on BA are still very valid, but for both the
analysis as conclusion I have a different approach.

- Good UI and tools design should inherently follow internal
architecture too. The patch has no beauty prize, but it doesn't
conflict internally either.
- In past decade we've been adding far too many features that either
half or not really well integrated. These are the hardest to maintain
and make Blender so complex.
- In order to move on and keep Blender stable & in maintenance, we
could stick to rule 'only add when internal design provides' and move
all other stuff to a Blender 3 list or so.

I'm well aware that the Blender design papers I did in '95 are quite
ancient now, with shortcomings in design that hold us back in areas.
So shortly after we survived 2.5 we better not start another massive
redesign, but in the course of next year (2.6x series) we can
definitely start collecting the key issues for an internal design
upgrade.

-Ton-