[Bf-committers] GSoC proposal - GE Nodes

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Thu Mar 31 21:17:53 CEST 2011

Hi Sven,

Thank you for your interest in the Node project.  The wiki page on the
GE node system is the result of design effort that I carried in 2009. It
was a difficult exercise because I had ambitious goals: I wanted to have
a generic, high performance, node engine that supports both push and
pull data flow and all types of program construct and allows to build
reusable node graphs. I didn't find a solution for all the issues but I
had enough to start working on the engine. It was going well but I was
dragged away by other work and never found the time and energy to get
back to it. You'll find the result of my efforts in the ge_nodelogic
branch (directory source/gameengine/NodeLogic). It's not much, not even
sufficient to be the necessary base of a new Node project, but it
exists.

If you would decide to take it back and propose a GSoC project based on
that, I would be happy to be your mentor. And should the project be
accepted, I'm sure I would find the time to work in parallel on it.

A fully integrated node system with GUI, GE binding, node library, etc,
is way outside the scope of a GSoC project, but I think that getting a
general purpose python node engine to work with the characteristics I
listed above is a facinating project. The integration with the GE
wouldn't even have to be done, as long as it's possible. Send me an
Email if you want to discuss about it.

Regards,
Benoit

Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:38:56, Dalai Felinto <dfelinto at gmail.com>