[Bf-committers] Python callbacks and keeping properties in sync

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Mar 30 16:09:36 CEST 2011

Hi Doug,

I remind Campbell about this regularly, and we've reviewed a couple of
strategies for it.
The issue is extremely complex though, especially because existing
code might need to be upgraded to comply to a decent API on python
level.

In short:
- Data-Data dependencies belong in the dependency graph, handled
reliably outside UI.
- Data-UI dependencies can be handled on notifier or event levels

Issues:
- Some UI widgets/menus might maintain data as well, with dependencies
- Our UI is directly using data pointers to write/read, with
dependencies

What would be helpful is to first make the minimal list of crucial
features required for proper handling of exporter/integration scripts.
I'm still missing the big picture a bit.

-Ton-