[Bf-committers] cmake OS X blender

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 10:14:16 CEST 2011

Regarding the make stub. Yes, its no use for windows, though if
someone want to make blender on OSX they can use this instead of XCode
(assuming they just want to get blender built with minimum fuss).

The newly added message blender prints out will show before crashing,
 fprintf(stderr, "Warning! bundled python not found and is expected on
this platform. (if you built with CMake: 'install' target may have not
been built)\n");

With this and docs giving steps to building blender correctly, this
should be enough.

Realize this is frustrating since we didn't even have CMake/MSVC docs
at the time

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Erwin Coumans <erwin.coumans at gmail.com> wrote:
> This doesn't help IDE developers using msvc and xcode.
>
> There is no message, just a crash.
>

> On Wednesday, 30 March 2011, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 6:12 AM, Benjamin Tolputt
>> <btolputt at internode.on.net> wrote:

>>> I'm interested in knowing the same thing. Whilst not a major hassle on
>>> OSX (unless this is copying library files around my system - in which
>>> case I strongly object!), I cannot understand why the old ability to
>>> build Blender and have it "just work" has been deliberately removed.
>>>
>>> It would be one thing if I were asking for something that didn't exist
>>> before (given the change involves only a minor hassle) but, from what I
>>> can tell, a previously better situation has been deliberately made
>>> worse. What do we get in exchange for the added hassle?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Benjamin Tolputt
>>> Analyst Programmer
>>
>> For discussion on this topic & reasons why I made this change see:
>> http://markmail.org/message/z4iaqnut7qliphya
>>
>> Since then, the docs have been updated to include this info and I
>> added a message for *nix/osx after make finishes.
>>   now run: "make install" to copy runtime files & scripts to
>> /data/src/blender/cmake_debug/bin/2.56
>>
>> But IDE's all work differently I guess this message isn't visible on XCode?
>>
>> For people who just want a working build without the hassle to setup
>> up a cmake out-of-source build and running 'make ; make install' Ive
>> added a stub makefile which does this for you.
>>
>> Running "make" in blenders source dir does a cmake build in a similar
>> way to how scons just works.
>>
>> --
>> - Campbell

- Campbell