[Bf-committers] cmake OS X blender

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 09:03:01 CEST 2011

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 6:12 AM, Benjamin Tolputt
<btolputt at internode.on.net> wrote:
> On 30/03/2011 5:12 PM, Erwin Coumans wrote:
>> i reported the same problem under Windows (cmake/msvc) on this list recently.
>>
>> Why is an INSTALL target needed? I'm not installing Blender system wide.
>>
>> Can't we simply copy those files using something like below?
>
> I'm interested in knowing the same thing. Whilst not a major hassle on
> OSX (unless this is copying library files around my system - in which
> case I strongly object!), I cannot understand why the old ability to
> build Blender and have it "just work" has been deliberately removed.
>
> It would be one thing if I were asking for something that didn't exist
> before (given the change involves only a minor hassle) but, from what I
> can tell, a previously better situation has been deliberately made
> worse. What do we get in exchange for the added hassle?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Benjamin Tolputt
> Analyst Programmer

For discussion on this topic & reasons why I made this change see:
http://markmail.org/message/z4iaqnut7qliphya

Since then, the docs have been updated to include this info and I
added a message for *nix/osx after make finishes.
  now run: "make install" to copy runtime files & scripts to
/data/src/blender/cmake_debug/bin/2.56

But IDE's all work differently I guess this message isn't visible on XCode?

For people who just want a working build without the hassle to setup
up a cmake out-of-source build and running 'make ; make install' Ive
added a stub makefile which does this for you.

Running "make" in blenders source dir does a cmake build in a similar
way to how scons just works.

--
- Campbell