[Bf-committers] Python callbacks and keeping properties in sync

Wenzel Jakob wenzel at wazlaf.org
Mon Mar 28 13:55:45 CEST 2011

Hello all,

I am currently designing a rendering backend that integrates Mitsuba (a
physically based renderer) with Blender 2.56a based on Doug Hammond's
extensions framework.

One of the issues I am periodically facing is synchronization between
the Blender and Mitsuba interpretations of the scene. For instance,
Blender Internal and Mitsuba have wildly different material
configurations, and hence the rendering plugin adds custom UI panels to
configure all materials.

However, there is still a bit of overlap with Blender Internal. It would
be great if it was possible to "react" to property changes in a material
so that they can be forwarded to the other respective material
implementation (where it makes sense). For instance: if the user
specifies a diffuse gray BI material, that could easily be replicated in
the Mitsuba material panel.

I remember that somebody was working on Python-based property callbacks,
which could potentially be used to implement such a feature. I'm curious
to hear about the state of this work.

Thank you,
Wenzel