[Bf-committers] GSoC proposal

Sergey Kurdakov sergey.forum at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:14:19 CEST 2011

Hi Shuvro,

I have one thought to share on subject of motion capture

 that while there are a lot of samples now when  kinect allows to get motion
capture data
ex http://www.brekel.com/
- one kinect is very hard to make to produce good animation data.

so, while there are quite a bit examples to use Kinect to make motion
capture - it exibits weakness here and there - captures mostly standing
persons, feet sleeps, etc.

There is another approach though.
To use two kinects.

You might look at Oliver Kreylos

http://idav.ucdavis.edu/~okreylos/ResDev/Kinect/ page and also
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/imager/tr/2009/eltopo/eltopo.html software - then,
I expect, it is possible to reconstruct skeleton at each time frame.

To estimate mesh from Oliver Kreylos  data you might use recently
implemented double contouring  algorithm
see http://vimeo.com/21096739 ( diff here http://www.pasteall.org/20117/diff
 )

this way - it would be possible to capture professional quality motion
capture data and not something with sleeping feet.

as a side note you may look at paper
http://openmesh.org/uploads/media/Hornung_TR10.pdf
while not directly related - it might be of some help in implementing above
mentioned approach.

Regards
Sergey