[Bf-committers] GSoC11 - Projects with a mathematical bent?

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:16:49 CET 2011

Hi Mitchell,

Many of our devs come from a physics background - math/physics double
majors and math/comp sci. double majors.

The camera tracking work requires heavy interface knowledge on the
Blender side, so unless you already have significant blender
experience it will be a poor fit.

There is a possibility of two devs for the camera tracking work (one
to work purely on the libmv side) which would be heavy math/physics
based but it is unclear what the feasibility of that is currently.

Automatic seam creation is certainly a possibility.

Nodification of game logic - you'll need to talk to Benoit regarding
that (hopefully he will reply).  I'll add his proposal for it to the
wiki

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/GameEngine/NodalLogic

Personally I'd recommend all individuals new to the code base to pick
a task with lots of small successes instead of a large project with a
single success at the end.

You might want to look at the retopology tool polishing; uv tool
polishing; and skinning wieghting polishing -  those are much more
likely to end up with a 'success' for a new developer.  80% success on
projects with lots of small milestones is easier to call a success
than 80% success on a big project with a single milestone.

Also you might try and do one of the items from the polishing lists
and submit a patch just to see if you can successfully hack the code
base and prove to us that you can.

Tom M.
LetterRip