[Bf-committers] Simplified UI (filtering)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 05:44:14 CET 2011

jdpf on IRC was asking about blender having a simplified UI, since
this topic comes up from time to time so I made an example of one
approach - which is to intercept the draw and poll functions.

At first this is limited since you can only draw a panel or not. but
once the draw function is using your own code you can subclass the
layout and intercept calls to prop(), operator() too.
This way single buttons can be removed or modified.

In this example I've added a blacklist for props and operators not to draw.
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/Blender_UI_Shenanigans

Of course its going to be nicer to have a custom written simple UI but
this makes it easy to strip out areas without maintaining/syncing up a
duplicate of blenders UI scripts.

You can also do silly stuff like reverse every button name or swap
column / row for a horizontal UI :).

--
- Campbell