[Bf-committers] Blender Developer IRC meeting, March 20 2011

Dave Plater dplater at webafrica.org.za
Mon Mar 21 12:19:53 CET 2011

On 03/20/2011 08:04 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> - New Linux platform maintainer(s): currently Ken Hughes is listed as
> main owner, but during the Python 3.2 discussion I saw a mail coming
> by from Richard Shaw or David Plater that they'd like to be added. I
> can't find this mail anymore... is either of you guys also proposing
> to build .deb or other linux compatible release builds?
The openSUSE build service, an automated revision control, build and packaging system, also builds for Fedora 12 13 & 14, Debian 5.0 & 6.0,
RHEL 5 & 6, CentOS-5, Mandriva 2010.1 2010 & 2009.1 and Ubuntu 10.10 9.10 9.04 8.04 & 6.06 as well as all the supported flavors of
openSUSE. Richard Shaw has converted my openSUSE spec to Fedora and I'm working on a dual openSUSE/Fedora spec atm. The complete build
service system is open source and freely available with documentation and a dedicated irc and mailing list, if you are interested I can get
more details.
I've been packaging and maintaining for openSUSE for a couple of years and familiar with the rpm system. I'm capable of packaging for all
of the above rpm based distributions after I've sorted out all the differences, help from someone familiar to the particular distributions
packaging and naming would speed things up. I'm planning on tackling the dpkg based distros once the rpms are all building properly as I
have almost no knowledge of it's internals.
My workload as a community maintainer is multimedia libs and apps along with blender/collada so I won't be able to carry much more
volunteer work but I'm happy to assist anyone else.
The bottom line, I should have the Fedora and openSUSE Packman packages, Blender and openCOLLADA with ffmpeg (not allowed in legal aware
distributions, Packman is the main repository for mpeg etc. packages) within the next couple of days. The build service also has automated
svn, git and hg tarball creation but I've yet to tackle this side and prefer to make my own from svn export or from git if you go that way.
I develop the packages in home:plater:blender and the non ffmpeg openSUSE packages are installable from :
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/plater:/blender/openSUSE_11.4 - need python 3.2, replace the 11.4 with 11.3 or Factory and
Fedora 14, the only rpms built so far 13 currently failing and 12 is unresolvable is :
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/plater:/blender/Fedora_14 - built against python 3.1

If I switch on the python 3.2 build again then there's everything required for blender, the openSUSE packages are having a problem
resolving python 3.1 and haven't built with it yet although the wip Packman builds have built with openSUSE's python 3.1, python 3.2 is
still sitting in the devel:languages:python:Factory project.
The gateway to the packages with read only access is :
https://build.opensuse.org/project/packages?project=home%3Aplater%3Ablender
and the gateway to available build service information is :
https://build.opensuse.org/

Regards
Dave P