[Bf-committers] OS X update to XCode 4 breaks compiling

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 01:51:52 CET 2011

Is it more a case of clang not building blender then Xcode4 specifically?
If so this is probably no different to building clang on Linux which
I've been doing for a while.

>From my tests clang (r127942 from yesterday, and previous builds) it
fails on 2 external libs.
- elbeem (fluids)
- eigen2 (math lib)

To build with clang with cmake it means turning off: WITH_MOD_FLUID &
WITH_IK_ITASC.

Getting fluid working is simple, but the patch is ugly, someone with
C++ knowledge could better fix it or report a bug to clang.

patch: http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/clang_elbeem_hack.diff

I've tried Eigen2 a few times and its not so easy, its templates confuse clang.
compiler output:
http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/clang_eigen2_errors.html

If these are compiler bugs we could also just wait until clang
addresses them before trying to support it.
Until then we could detect clang and disable unsupported features,
just not use clang for official builds.

- Campbell