[Bf-committers] .blend magic number & MIME type

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Mar 17 22:50:21 CET 2011

Hi,
jharmon at colorhythm.com (2011-03-17 at 0211.27 -0800):
>  can anyone provide a magic number for .blend files?

file cmd database has it (I wrote it long ago and updated it as
needed), lastest version is:

# GLOB chunk was moved near start and provides subversion info since 2.42

0               string  =BLENDER        Blender3D,
>7              string  =_              saved as 32-bits
>>8             string  =v              little endian
>>>9            byte    x               with version %c.
>>>10           byte    x               \b%c
>>>11           byte    x               \b%c
>>>0x40         string  =GLOB           \b.
>>8             string  =V              big endian
>>>9            byte    x               with version %c.
>>>10           byte    x               \b%c
>>>11           byte    x               \b%c
>>>0x40         string  =GLOB           \b.
>7              string  =-              saved as 64-bits
>>8             string  =v              little endian
>>9             byte    x               with version %c.
>>10            byte    x               \b%c
>>11            byte    x               \b%c
>>0x44          string  =GLOB           \b.
>>>0x60         leshort x               \b%.4d
>>8             string  =V              big endian
>>>9            byte    x               with version %c.
>>>10           byte    x               \b%c
>>>11           byte    x               \b%c
>>>0x44         string  =GLOB           \b.

In some (many now, as it saves space) cases, the file can appear with
gzip magic, but still plain .blend extension (IOW, contrary to GIMP
style, where the user directly knows about compresion as extension
becomes .xcf.gz or .xcfgz). Just gunzip the blend and examine the
output (or in file case, file -z).

>  also, did anyone end up registering the MIME type
>  "application/x-blender" with the IANA?  even if not, is that the one we
>  should use?

Not registered with IANA, there were some tries to document all and
follow the required submission steps. Currently on hold.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Source/Development/Projects/Blender_File_Format/MIME_Type

GSR