[Bf-committers] .blend magic number & MIME type

Jeff Harmon jharmon at colorhythm.com
Thu Mar 17 11:11:27 CET 2011

 i work on resourcespace, an open source digital asset management
 application that already supports the previewing of Blender files.  we
 are working on supporting metadata and recognizing the file type.
 http://resourcespace.org

 we are contructing a "magic number" database that will assist in
 automatically recognizing file types.  this "magic number" is a unique
 byte sequence to use for recognizing the file (and the offset from the
 start of the file where it occurs -- must be within the first 1024
 bytes).  this sequence may contain a range of values.  for example, the
 BZ2 pattern is 'BZh[1-9]\x31\x41\x59\x26\x53\x59', which means the ASCII
 string "BZh", followed by an ASCII character between "1" and "9",
 followed by the hex bytes 31 41 59 26 53 59. (for a total of 10 bytes,
 which is a reasonably strong pattern.)

 can anyone provide a magic number for .blend files?

 also, did anyone end up registering the MIME type
 "application/x-blender" with the IANA?  even if not, is that the one we
 should use?

 thanks!

 - J