[Bf-committers] Code donation: "Dual contouring re-meshing"

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 03:19:24 CET 2011

Hi again, some quick status updates on this:

I've started checking out the code, looks like integration as a
modifier shouldn't be too hard.

As a first step, since the code was written for 32-bit compilation
with MSVC, I've been updating it to compile with g++ too, as well as
some memory fixes for 64-bit.

Current status, I've got it working as a standalone program. Quick
test with the Standford bunny, imported resulting .ply model into
Blender:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=9959
[on right is original with holes and uneven topology, then middle is
rebuilt with a depth-7 octree, and on the left rebuilt with a depth-5
octree.]
The output looks good to me, and pretty quick to calculate :)

Right now I'm continuing to update the code externally from Blender,
making it a bit more cross-platform and reformatting the precalculated
text tables into human-readable (i.e. not datatoc'd) C files. Once
this is done I'll pull it into Blender intern/, put together a C
wrapper, and try it out as a modifier.

-Nicholas