[Bf-committers] Official Automated Builds

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sun Mar 13 20:19:39 CET 2011

Hi all,

In the meeting Ton proposed to do official automated builds, that are
built and uploaded every day or every few hours. These should
effectively be the same as release builds, and could even be used as
official releases.

To start, some questions for platform maintainers:
* Do you have time to set up or help someone else set up such a system
for your platform?
* Is now a good time to do it, with 2.57 is in 2-3 weeks, or should we
do it after?
* Are there any pitfalls we should be thinking of?
* Do you prefer to run such a system on your own computer or on a server?

We can set up a server with virtual machines, for example with
virtualbox it should be possible for someone to create the machine
locally, upload it, and further maintenance can then be done using a
remote login. Alternatively builds could run locally on system from
developers or other volunteers.

The advantage of having them on a remote server is that it would be
easier for multiple developers to fix builds and make releases, but
for a single platform maintainer it may be more convenient to just run
such a thing locally.

We could also start to use a Tinderbox system. Hudson/Jenkins was
brought up, Buildbot also seems nice to me. It seems to be quite a bit
of work to configure and maintain such a system, so for now I'd like
to focus on simply getting automated builds.

Thanks,
Brecht.