[Bf-committers] Blender developer IRC meeting, March 13 2011

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 13 17:45:16 CET 2011

Hi all,

1) Blender 2.5 project

- All signs still positive for 2.57 "out of beta" release within 2-3
weeks.

- Meeting confirms we'll need RC builds, preferably a week before
official release.

- Ton suggests to already make 'official' test builds this week.
Having regular builds for testing and as reference for bug reporters
is good anyway.

- Topic then moved to idea have an official autobuild system, hosted
on or via blender.org. Offering daily builds is great to have anyway,
and it could extend to a Tinderbox style service too. (Andrea
suggested to take a look at Hudson/Jenkins).

Ton mentioned there's sufficient systems in Blender Institute for it,
or he can move one to the XS4all hub for it as well. Brecht
volunteered to check on this plan and coordinate it with the platform
build team.

- We had some free Visual Studio 2008 licenses in the past. Do more
people now need it? Thomas Dinges and Janne Karhu already confirmed
they'd love to have one. Ton will try to get a handful free licenses
extra.

- Wiki todo list had a first cleanup. Module owners, please check!
   http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Development/Todo

2) Other projects

- GSoC has been submitted, March 18th Google will announce which orgs
have been accepted.

- Martin asks: do we use the (good) submission templates from 2010
again?

- GSoC ideas list is open for people to note down ideas. Meeting will
allocate next week time for a review. Please try to avoid this
becoming a feature request list. Feasible projects for students have
preference.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2011/Ideas

- Discussion/Proposal on roadmap for 2.5/2.6 and beyond is ongoing now:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2011-March/030921.html

-Ton-