[Bf-committers] Small issue python 3.1-->3.2 upgrade

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 01:21:10 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Lorenzo <oni.lore at tiscali.it> wrote:
> I upgraded from python 3.1 to 3.2 using this link:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Troubleshooting
>
> After compiling blender (without errors), it failed to run because of
> the "Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding" error.
>
> Apparently I didn't use the install target for blender and it was still
> using the old python.
>
> Indeed "make install" in blender replaced the old python. But the issue
> was tricky to solve.
>
> Maybe we should add a line in the wiki: "after updating CMakeCache.txt,
> run make install" in the cmake section.

Pythons 'Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding', error isnt
that helpful, but we can't override this with a more helpful one.

What happened is it found blenders "2.56/python" dir but not
"2.56/python/lib/python3.2".

running "make install" is a requirement now, see:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu/CMake#Building_Blender

There is also a message when blender finished building:
  "now run: "make install" to copy runtime files & scripts to
/data/src/blender/cmake_debug/bin/./2.56"

The only reason not to run "make install" is if you're a developer
rebuilding a lot there is no need to copy the files every time,
or using "release/scripts" dir directly by running blender from
blenders source root.

- Campbell