[Bf-committers] Blender linux console errors

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 04:22:19 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks to Campbell for the python script fix! Now the next problem. I
>> have no clue what's causing this. When I exit blender I get a BUNCH of
>> the following (more than I have scrollback history):
>>

>> C++/anonymous len: 16 0x3839868
[SNIP]
>> GHOST:GHOST_IEvent len: 40 0x3aaa498
>>
>> Any clue where to start?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>
> Short is answer, no bug, disable WITH_CXX_GUARDEDALLOC.
>
> Long answer: WITH_CXX_GUARDEDALLOC is off by default and not in the
> standard view (you need to toggle advanced), which I did so people
> didn't turn it on by accident :).
> This is a debugging option which enables #ifdefs to override many
> C++'s allocators with our C malloc replacement which complains of
> unfreed memory.
>
> These 'C++/anonymous len: 16 0x3839ce8', can be ignored since they are
> variables like...
>  STR_String emptyString= "";
> in the main body of C++ source and not worth the trouble to manually free.
>
> 'GHOST:GHOST_IEvent len: 40 0x3aaa498' could be a leak but I'd not
> worry about it unless they accumulate.

Thanks! The GHOST error only occurs once so it's probably not a big
deal. I ran blender under valgrind to see if anything jumped out at me
and it did say there was a small leak but it didn't amount to much and
I've read that valgrind can get confused by python memory management
so I'm not even sure I can trust the results.

Richard