[Bf-committers] armatures, ipos and actions

Joshua Leung aligorith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:38:06 CET 2011

Hi,

For a moment there I was confused by the terminology you were using.
If I understand correctly, you want to have several rigs sharing the
same action (pose-bone level animation), but still be able to position
the rig objects in different places (object-level animation).

There isn't any bug here. By design, a single animation data (1 action
+ a collection of drivers + a collection of nla-tracks (containing
strips referencing actions)) block lives on each ID-block (i.e.
Object/Lamp/Material/etc.) Now, PoseBones are data hanging off an
Object, just like the Object's transform properties
(loc/rot/scale/etc.) Hence, they are affected by the same animation
data block.

For what you want to accomplish, what you really want to do is to use
the NLA system. One strip gets the object-level, another gets the
pose-bone level.  See
http://aligorith.blogspot.com/2010/10/clarifying-animation-workflow-in.html
with regards to NLA usage.

Hope that helps,