[Bf-committers] Moving to Python 3.2.x

Dave Plater dplater at webafrica.org.za
Wed Mar 9 08:07:09 CET 2011

On 03/09/2011 05:24 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Only supporting a single version of python IMHO is important to reduce
> overhead with a small developer team,

I'm still in the dark as to why external system python which is
maintained by the distro python maintainer has to be 3.2 for blender to
build against. This is no maintenance on your side and the distribution
blender maintainer takes care of the bugs (supposed to anyway) and if it
is an upstream blender bug passes correct information and in some cases
offers a patch to solve the bug.
There's nothing wrong with blender having a particular version of python
bundled with it but why can't it build with the distributions python
3.1. This is for the silent majority of users who want software that
works and don't have a wish to build it themselves. Give us a clue about
where the changes are that prevent the use of 3.1 and we will patch it
ourselves in which case it becomes our maintenance problem but that's
why we're maintainers.

Thanks
Dave P