[Bf-committers] Moving to Python 3.2.x

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Mar 9 00:25:08 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Martin Poirier <theeth at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Unless the benefits outweighs the hindrances, there's nothing lost by waiting until the next minor release.

This sounds sensible to me. Considering the widespread inconvenience
caused by these sorts of things, it would seem that unless there's
something dire that needs to be fixed by an update immediately, then
it would be much better to wait a while so people can build from their
linux distros easily, so that people using external modules don't get
stuck, and so that any new bugs brought in by a new Python version can
be avoided.

Just because a new Python version is released doesn't mean that
blender needs to start using it immediately - many 3d apps are still
using Python ~2.5. Like Martin said, it's a case of benefits vs
hindrances, and as time goes by and more people are getting on board
with Python in Blender 2.5, the hindrances side of the equation is
getting heavier and heavier, which means these changes need to be
approached with a greater level of sensitivity and care. I feel this
also applies to API changes now too. I'm not against change in itself,
but I do feel that the current degree of external costs in the
cost/benefit relationship isn't being given serious enough treatment.



More information about the Bf-committers mailing list