[Bf-committers] Moving to Python 3.2.x

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:55:00 CET 2011

@Martin, no this wasn't discussed at the meeting, once we had other
platforms supported Ton was ok for me with the decision.

@Diego, yep, was aware I'd get some complaints, but for updates on
non-development systems couldn't they use build made elsewhere with
py3.2 bundled?.

Python do a new releases fairly in-frequently, I recall when we first
moved to Py3.1 (dropping 2.x) there were hardly any packages in
distros and most Linux devs needed to build,
though I expect we have a lot more people building blender now.

Seeing as this will happing every 1-2 years? (3.1 was released over 18
months ago), every time this will be a similar situation where Linux
devs/builders are comfortable with having easily available packages
and suddenly don't.

Other then waiting a few months for packages to emerge in mainstream
distros or bundling python source with blender - I can't see a way
around this.

Nevertheless we can make this a meeting topic for next time.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Diego B <bdiego at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Don't take this bad, but this "python thing" is staring to be a little
> annoying... yes download and build/install the new
> version is just "3 command", but that is fine for one machine that is
> for development.. when you have to update
> a couple more of PCs that are begin used to work every day.. not
> really nice (not mention the servers).
>
> Of course you already know about this but anyway, just my two cents.
>
> -
>
>               Diego
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now we have Mac & Windows building with python 3.1 we can drop support
>> for all OS's.
>> For Linux this probably means you'll need to build your own since few
>> distributions support py3.2 yet.
>>
>> I've updated the instructions for building python here.
>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Doc/Building_Blender/Linux/Troubleshooting#Python
>>
>> note, since our wiki update the syntax highlighting has gone a strange
>> (since moving servers) so some text is easier to read when selected.
>>
>> One gotcha with 3,.2 is that python now has a suffix which depends on
>> build-options so you may have libpython32mu.so or libpython32d.so,
>> where before it was simply libpython32.so.
>>
>> >From ./configure.in
>>  * --with-pydebug (adds a 'd')
>>  * --with-pymalloc (adds a 'm')
>>  * --with-wide-unicode (adds a 'u')
>>
>> This means getting the path to includes & libs isn't so simple
>> anymore, for linux it may be best to search for all possibly
>> combinations of d/m/u to detect the python version, but for now these
>> need to be set manually.
>>
>> --
>> - Campbell

- Campbell