[Bf-committers] CMake Build Changes

Dave Plater dplater at webafrica.org.za
Mon Mar 7 21:30:15 CET 2011

On 03/06/2011 11:12 AM, Campbell Barton wrote:
> Writing to notify of some changes I plan to make to CMake build system
> soon (this week).
>
> The main change is that the install target will be used so "make
> install" is needed to copy scripts, python etc into CMake's bin/
> directory.
>
> *** Only continue reading if your interested in WHY ***
>
> At the moment we are using system copy commands which don't give good
> control, at the moment files are copied then find is used to remove
> for eg, on windows .svn dirs are copied.
>
> The install target gives a more useful options for copying, with
> correct permissions, creates dirs automatic and this is generally how
> installation is expected to be done.
> Currently we have a non-standard WITH_INSTALL option, once the install
> target is used correctly this isn't needed, devs can just not bother
> with 'make install' if they run blender from the source dir.
>
> On Unix/Linux (but not Apple), there is still the case where you can
> either do a portable install or a system install into /usr/bin/,
> /usr/share/blender... etc.
> For this case I've added an option WITH_INSTALL_PORTABLE, Enabled by
> default, when disabled the files will be installed into the system
> directories.
>
> I can test this for linux/win32-mingw/win32-msvc but not apple so to
> start with I'll leave this configuration as-is and get a apple user to
> test before applying these changes.
>
> This isn't a big task but writing since it changes how CMake builds work.

Regardless of the fact that I'm building with python-3.2m I get this
failure :
In file included from
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/blender-2.56.35390/source/blender/python/intern/bpy.c:38:0:
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/blender-2.56.35390/source/blender/python/intern/bpy_util.h:34:2:
error: #error "Python versions below 3.1 are not supported anymore,
you'll need to update your python."

Dave P