[Bf-committers] CMake Build Changes

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 10:12:57 CET 2011

Writing to notify of some changes I plan to make to CMake build system
soon (this week).

The main change is that the install target will be used so "make
install" is needed to copy scripts, python etc into CMake's bin/
directory.

*** Only continue reading if your interested in WHY ***

At the moment we are using system copy commands which don't give good
control, at the moment files are copied then find is used to remove
for eg, on windows .svn dirs are copied.

The install target gives a more useful options for copying, with
correct permissions, creates dirs automatic and this is generally how
installation is expected to be done.
Currently we have a non-standard WITH_INSTALL option, once the install
target is used correctly this isn't needed, devs can just not bother
with 'make install' if they run blender from the source dir.

On Unix/Linux (but not Apple), there is still the case where you can
either do a portable install or a system install into /usr/bin/,
/usr/share/blender... etc.
For this case I've added an option WITH_INSTALL_PORTABLE, Enabled by
default, when disabled the files will be installed into the system
directories.

I can test this for linux/win32-mingw/win32-msvc but not apple so to
start with I'll leave this configuration as-is and get a apple user to
test before applying these changes.

This isn't a big task but writing since it changes how CMake builds work.
--
- Campbell