[Bf-committers] Defining new node types with Python

Tom Edwards contact at steamreview.org
Thu Mar 3 17:45:08 CET 2011

I'd like to create a new node graph type to define how an external game
engine treats exports from a scene. Similar things exist already
<http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/starwind168/AnimTree.jpg>.

The bad news is that creating new node types is not currently possible
with Python, and that the output I want is too esoteric to justify
building into Blender itself.

The good news is that my design is pure Python does not require anything
outside the existing API: its output is a small script file, and all the
heavy lifting is done by an existing external compiler. I could actually
create it today, and the only missing element would be the visual aid of
the node editor.

My question, then, is how feasible supporting the definition of new
node/graph types in Python is. We can already instance and modify
existing ones...