[Bf-committers] FFMPEG Problem on Linux (Yes, I think it is a Blender problem).

Juan Pablo Bouza jpbouza at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 19:17:17 CEST 2011

Carsten, I didn't find compiling ffmpeg difficult, and I'm not a linux guru, just a simple user that is happier when not needing to use the console :p

The only thing I compile is Blender. I think I didn't have to install any extra dependency for for compiling ffmpeg.

All you have to do is:

./configure --prefix="/opt/ffmpeg"

make and make install (with su)

That will install the new ffmpeg in /opt/ffmpeg instead of replacing your system's ffmpeg libraries. Then you just point the Blender configuration of ffmpeg to that directory and it should work.

Now that I remember, with that configuration, blender gave some ffmpeg-jack linking error at the end, so I finally compilled ffmpeg with this:

./configure --prefix="/opt/ffmpeg" --disable-devices

Then it all worked.

About the extra codecs, if you type ./configure --help, all the extra parameters for compiling ffmpeg will be listed.

For compiling with x264, you have to install the latest version of libx264. It compiles easily just with :

./configure --enable-shared --prefix=/opt/x264

make

make install

Then I compiled ffmpeg with:

./configure --extra-cflags=-I/opt/x264/include --extra-ldflags=-L/opt/x264/lib --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-libfaac --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-x11grab --enable-libxvid --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libopenjpeg  --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libdirac --enable-frei0r --prefix="/opt/ffmpegfull"

Well, I as you can see I compiled with a different directory so that it didn't overwrite the blender ffmpeg version I did.

Troy must be right about the libraries linking thing, cause with all these enabled, blender couldn't find the libraries. But well, I don't know how to solve it, so I just compiled the version for blender without this extra stuff.

About the x264 version, when you run the x264 enabled ffmpeg, it still won't be able to find your /opt/x264 library. So, you can temporarily type this in the console from where you are going to use your custom ffmpeg:

 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib

Or, you can just make a file called ffmpeg.conf with this line inside;

/opt/x264/lib

Then save it in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and execute ldconfig as root. That way the changes to the library path will be permanent.