[Bf-committers] Collada import support

Peter Amstutz tetron at interreality.org
Wed Jun 29 15:14:05 CEST 2011

Hello all,

My development team wants to transition from 3DS Max 2011 to Blender
for character modeling.  In order to do so, we need two pieces: the
ability to get our data out of 3DS Max and into Blender, and the
ability to export from Blender to Cal3D.  I've already found a Blender
addon that exports to Cal3D.  It needs work, but that is something I
can handle and doesn't involve Blender C++ code.

I have been trying to use Collada to transfer our characters from 3DS
Max to Blender, using the Autodesk-provided Collada exporter on the
Max side.  The data consists of meshes, materials, bones, bone weights
and animations.  From a cursory examination of the Collada XML file it
appears that all the necessary data is present in the DAE file.

Unfortunately, the Blender import of Collada doesn't work.  The errors
range from "Image not found" (caused by missing paths to textures,
surely not a fatal import error but nevertheless stops import in its
tracks) to corrupted geometry.

I am in a position that I can devote some time to testing / debugging
/ development on the Blender Collada importer to handle our import
needs.  I also noticed there is a Google Summer of Code project to
improve Collada animation import.  I would like to get in touch with
Blender developers who can tell me about the state of Collada support
in Blender to find our where I should focus my attention and avoid
duplicate effort.  I've already checked out Blender trunk and
successfully compiled and run a debug build, so I am ready to go, I
just need some pointers on where to start.

- Pete