[Bf-committers] Better approaches to Defocus?

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 18:39:07 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM, j.bakker at atmind.nl <j.bakker at atmind.nl> wrote:
> The brushes I already have an idea (required for the compositor branch),
> the luminosity/saturation is something I didn't had an idea about, but this
> can't be that difficult.
[..]
> I currently don't see that many difference as in implementation between the
> focus blur and blender's defocus.

I'm not that concerned with the brushes, but more the way that
Blender's defocus fails.

It ends up with those sharp edges and other strangeness.

The Focus Blur fails as well, but it seems a little closer to a
graceful failure.

Ben Simond's covers the exact optical failure at
http://bensimonds.com/2011/06/01/depth-of-field-in-blender/

When those foreground objects are isolated from the objects behind
them, they defocus properly. It is only when the object is stacked
against a deeper object that they fail with the ghosty halo look.

Perhaps there is an optimized approach out there in research paper land?

With respect,
TJS