[Bf-committers] A new photo format

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 21:08:39 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Lars Krueger <lars_e_krueger at gmx.de> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Lars Krueger <lars_e_krueger at gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>> > The camera does not obtain 3d information. Neither does it capture
>> sufficient info to compute a depth map.
>> Think about this for a second.  The light field allows you to
>> determine the focus of an image from near to far.  It is obvious that
>> with some linear algebra a quite detailed depth buffer could be
>> obtained.  I mean, you could do it by hand just by adjusting the depth
>> and tracing the objects in focus.  A little math could do that too and
>> I'm almost certain it could do it better.
>
> In theory, you're right. The problem is that your maximal baseline length is the size of  the aperture (Ren Ng, the inventor wrote that in some paper), hence 1 cm at most (f=50 mm, f/8 -> 6.25 mm). That won't give much of a depth resolution even with todays 16 or 20 MP sensors.
>
> --
> Dr. Lars Krueger

Many times while reading these sites I have seen them mention 3d but I
do see your point. On the other hand might these cameras be really
good for making bump/ normal/ displacement maps of surfaces?

One question I have is, if the 3d info in not there then how can they
change the focus depth? It would seem to me that you could make a 3d
image out of it just by plotting the points that are in focus as you
go from near focus to far focus. Perhaps this is just a failure on my
part to understand the math.

Also, Wilkins, I have to say I agree, fun but not much real use, as of
yet, as far as making blender output this format. On the other hand
going the other way, these might be very useful little cameras.

"Speaking of money, I don't think the lightfield camera will be cheap.
The hardware in his PhD was a 16 Megapixel middle format backplate.
Those things are expensive. I'm not sure if you can get a decent
quality out of a APS imager, where the pixels are much smaller."

Yes, but you don't have to make lens that focus ether. I would bet
that removing all that complication from the lens would reduce the
price quite a bit. Also as with all things computer, the price is cut
in half and the capacity is doubled every 18 months or so. Then reduce
the need to focus or wait for the focus and I think that Lytro might
have a pretty neat little camera.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!