[Bf-committers] Clay Tool Bug

Vox Lapin voxelbunny at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:45:20 CEST 2011

Please do put it in the tracker so it doesn't get lost in the mail.

Solid +1.

In my experience, the subjective uncontrollability with the existing clay
code is "bubbliness" -- since the orientation of each face was less tied to
its original orientation, the faces tended to have their old relationships
lost in noise and go out of control. I tried an example joining two
cylinders with the old and new code.

Here's the old code, no accumulation. You can see the bulging of the mesh
where the orientation of the faces got repeatedly modified in each stroke
exec, with concomitant distortion.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/14033

Here's the new code, no accumulation. You can see there's much less bulging
and distortion; the join is better too.
http://pasteall.org/pic/14034

New code with accumulation closely approximates the old behavior.
http://pasteall.org/pic/14035

If this doesn't go in trunk, I'm going to keep it in my build, it's
invaluable for sculpting.