[Bf-committers] Visibility of attribution

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Jun 21 14:02:20 CEST 2011

Hi Alex,

Dalai's reply is excellent, hope you can follow this for now.

For Blender we really should resolve this topic now indeed; there's a
strong (legal) lobby in the OS world to make projects use developer
agreements, whith good clarity about copryright origins of
contributions and an agreement by contributors to accept on the GPL
(or other) license.

Another relevant topic is to clearly define in which cases (c) goes to
BF. There's sensitive development areas that can easily picked up by
legal lizards to start IP or patent violation investigations. This is
a reason why FSF advices to migrate rights to them. Blender has a
fortunate legal base in the EU, giving it a bit more stable grounds
for IP/patent attacks than in USA.

A developer agreement can also cover up for future adjustments in the
covered license, worded in a way developers feel confident in (like
keep it gpl compliant) but with sufficient open ends to upgrade a
license or give out minor but relevant exceptions for extensions via
Py or plugins.

I've mailed a while ago about this initiative: http://harmonyagreements.org/

Proposal: I'll check on this during the next 2 weeks in more detail,
and come with a proposal for it. Will get at least feedback/
endorsement from the current project admins (brecht, campbell, matt e,
martin p) on this too! We then can have the topic for public review
here.

-Ton-