[Bf-committers] Visibility of attribution

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 05:39:25 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:52:32PM +1000, Alex Fraser wrote:
>>
>> I propose that:
>>
>>  1. All future contributions be attributed in modified source files as "Copyright <year> <author or organistion>", or at the contributor's option, in another form that conveys the same information.
>>
>>  2. The same copyright information be collected in a place accessible from the GUI, either in the splash screen itself (perhaps in a tab) or on a web page linked to from the splash screen.

re 1) The contributors are free to add in their own attribution in the
patch, perhaps it would help to formalize this, though the few times
I've had to deal with this a line in the header assigning copyright
was ok.
So don't mind either way.

re 2) Having a web page for this could work, but -1 for listing all
contributors/copyright-assignments in the GUI.

> I do not remember the exact circumstances, but we had a situation
> before where some corporation wanted an attribution notice put in the
> UI before they would contribute code.  The answer was no.
>
> Personally, I am not sure of the value of asserting copyright over code
> that is GPL'ed.

In practice probably not much though it does mean if we want to add
some GPL exception like we did for the BGE or one day move to GPLv3,
copyright holders need to agree,

--
- Campbell