[Bf-committers] [BGE Proposal] Improvement of dupli-groups for better workflow, new features, missing stuff (with working implementation)

Martin Sell m.sell_a at stud.fh-sm.de
Mon Jun 20 15:34:31 CEST 2011

Hi Alex, thanks for you reply.
> Please keep parenting instances to the pivot optional - in many of my
> groups, I want the objects to act independently. I see from your
> videos that parenting needs to be done after instantiation with a
> script; that's fine with me.
This is entirely optional and just one use case to demonstrate this
feature. But your right, any restrictions like parenting by default
wouldn't make any sense.
> We could add an option in the GUI to
> automate that at a later date.
This is also one thing that I have in mind. Would make the work with
groups even more user friendly and automated.

> My only suggestion is to change the terminology: "pivot" implies that
> the objects are parented to it. How about renaming "pivot" to "group",
> and "instance" to "member"?
This could be easily done. 'instances' is a list of all members so the
equivalent api property would be con.owner.members.
obj.members
obj.group

If you want to try it, just grab the windows 32 bit build and example
files that shows the feature in action.
I could also make a Linux Build as well, but I'm not sure how to build
it as dependency free as possible. Any further hints and suggestions are
welcome.

Thanks for your interest and your time.

Regards,
moerdn