[Bf-committers] [BGE Proposal] Improvement of dupli-groups for better workflow, new features, missing stuff (with working implementation)

Martin Sell m.sell_a at stud.fh-sm.de
Mon Jun 20 10:31:09 CEST 2011

Hi there!

I'm currently working on improvements for linked groups. The way of
using them brings a lot of power to the gameengine (e.g. build up
reusable libraries, hide implementation detail) but also lacks some
missing features.

1) first part: group references

At the moment, you can't detect at runtime if the object controller
owner is part of a group. The duplicating object also doesn't know about
its group members. There is no (easy) way to get the necessary
references. My proposal is to provide an improved interface for
KX_GameObjects. Here you can find the complete proposal:

http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/Benutzer:Moerdn/_Blender_2.5_Feature_Proposal

I've already implemented this small feature and it would be nice if the
BGE devs could take a closer look. This page also contains patches, a
windows build and some links to youtube that demonstrates some of the
possibilities. As you can see in the videos, it makes live for BGE
artists and programmers a lot easier. (e.g. parent instances together or
use properties as 'constructor' to parametrise these instances to allow
creating different behaviour for every single instance)

2) second part: working rigid body constraints for group instances

At the moment it is not possible to use constraints with instanced
groups. They are completely ignored during the process of replication.
It would be nice to get this missing feature for blender gameengine.
Here you can read the full feature proposal:
https://gitorious.org/bge-sandbox/pages/GroupCons

I've also implemented this feature as a quick demonstration. Almost all
of the physic constraints demos works well so far (simple hinge,
trampoline, complex ragdolls ..) All relevant links to files (builds,
videos, test blendfiles) and a discussion is posted to blenderartists:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?220666-BGE-proposal-group-references-and-workflow-improvements-%28discussion-testbuilds%29

All of my coding stuff could also be visited on gitorious:
https://gitorious.org/~moerdn/blenderprojects/moerdn-bge-sandbox
relevant branches at the moment:
group-ref
group-cons

I'm very interested in improving BGE with some smaller things to get
closer to the code base. It would be very nice to get some feedback.
Thanks for reading!

best regards,
moerdn