[Bf-committers] Good AA Sampling for Blender

Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com zanqdo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 01:11:14 CEST 2011

 I've heard great things about VRay's sampling method. Our FSA method
is far from producing perfect results. It does makes a lot of sense
for compositing but i just dont buy that it helps in AA that much. I
feel something is missing. some adaptive sampler? something that
doesn't kill all the detail in order to get decent edges? I've found
this link with explanations about VRay's method of sampling and links
to papers.

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/render_params_dmc.htm

 In blender there is one way to get *great* results, that is doubling
the resolution, applying a minimal blur and then scaling back down.The
difference in quality is astonishing to anything else you can get
tweaking the inbuilt parameters. Problem with this is the resources it
eats. more memory, 5-6 times render time, compositing time explodes..

Could we move to the new millennium and get a *great* AA sampling method? :)

Daniel Salazar
3Developer.com