[Bf-committers] Blender developers irc meeting,

michael williamson michaelw at cowtoolsmedia.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 19:12:36 CEST 2011

On 12/06/11 16:26, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> - Bug tracker at 174 open reports now.
>
> 2) Other Projects
>
> - Cycles: Brecht made notes for how Texture Workflow could work:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Render/TextureWorkflow
> He will continue on this with also UI proposal (mockup, proof of
> concept code) and then ask for official reviews.

Reading that wiki entry i have a couple of comments.

Quote:
/Do we need a full shaded GLSL draw mode for offline renders, given that
we already have a Rendered draw mode, or do leave this as a game engine
feature? /

I really must say ABSOLUTELY!  Texture painting has come a long way,
this SOC promises much more and to lose GLSL would be a huge blow just
when Blender is becoming a real contender in this area.

Bump map preview in GLSL is a killer feature and a big bonus for texture
painting right now.... that alone is worth the hurt.

Painting specularintensity maps/glossiness maps  is also very nice using
GLSL  (and useful for more physically correct shading models where
glossiness == roughness and a specular intensity == fac on a mic
closure... Not to mention simpler stiuff like painting an alpha map.

I think that users can accept GLSL not being a /perfect/ representation
of the final result, but  close enough.

Obviously, painting in "rendered" mode would be for those demanding
absolute final output, but on even a butch system I'd still prefer a
quick preview.

Quote:
/Mapping and Stacking
/

          /Questions /

    * /Do we need a type of texture stack, or are mix nodes enough? /
    * /Do we go for "fatter" texture nodes that contain e.g. mapping and
      color modification options, or for multiple lighter nodes? If we
      go for fatter nodes, how can we avoid the UI getting crowded by
      showing all those options? If we go for lighter nodes, how can we
      make managing them easier? /
    *

Personally I think that having a primary focus on a clear node editor is
fine....  Using groups should be the focus for removing UI clutter....

I think that having lots of nodes isn't a problem as you can easily have
"macros" to add specific setups  As long as the node editor is a central
place to see what is going on then it's fine.