[Bf-committers] Node system for game logic

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Jun 10 12:21:08 CEST 2011

Hi all (GE team!),

If I understand it correctly, the GSoC project for game logic will
work on a 'proof of concept', designs and a proposal for future work
on node editor implementation. Both Sven and Benoit have defined a
couple of ways how to do this work, and I think that can happily move
forward of course.

Based on reviews Benoit did for the Hive system, it does appear to me
that Sjoerd already fully delivered such a system, although with some
different internal design decisions. Benoit also stated in his review
that the GSoC project shouldn't stop further evaluation or work on
integration Hive at all. He was impressed with the current code &
design.

For both projects, my own concern is mostly that I'm not so much
interested in great code design (which is obvious ;) but about the
possibilities to provide a great end-user experience for advanced
control over editing logic for games. The GUI for it (node editor),
the APIs for it (scripting), the ways things store and load, the ways
how to keep things work and compatible, and especially speed (no
startup times, no external files required) are all relevant
integration topics for making decisions here.

I know it's a luxury, but not uncommon either to have people work in
parallel on testing out their ideas. Therefore I'd propose to provide
Sjoerd with a svn Hive branch, to allow him to further work on proof
of concept (on integration level) and welcome him as part of the team
with our support as well.

The discussion on BSD or GPL licensing I also don't need to continue
here for now. There's too many unknowns now anyway, and I'm sure
Sjoerd will be open to look into changing licenses once there's an
opportunity for actual re-use of Hive in other projects.

In due time, after the summer, we then can check on what to do next!

Regards,

-Ton-