[Bf-committers] About decimals in UI

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 06:18:09 CEST 2011

Committed an improvement to precision calculation r37286, so small
numbers don't display as zero, note that this isn't applied to values
like 100.00001, which will display as they did before.

There is one case where its not working as it should be:
0.0001 displays ok, but 0.0005 becomes 0.00050.

Possible obvious solutions are rounding and comparing to see if the
trailing zero is needed or we could strip trailing 0's off the string
afterwards.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM, voxelbunny <voxelbunny at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very much +1!
>
> I'm not familiar with the implementation behind the scenes, but the issue of
> decimal precision in the UI seems to be dealt with in a piecemeal fashion.
> e.g. the Merge Limit in the Mirror modifier has 1E-6 precision, vs.
> Subsurface Scattering Scale's 1E-3 precision, though I usually keep each in
> the 1E-3 range.
>
> I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate for the design to enforce a certain
> scale on the user. But the only all-powerful solution I can think of off the
> top of my head would be an implementation inspired by scientific notation,
> which is arguably unintuitive for sometimes non-technically-trained artists.
> You're in a tough spot when the UI standard is to show four digits of
> precision and the var starts with (0.000).
>
> At the very least I would like to be able to see some of the significant
> digits/sig figs of the var when I deliberately widen the buttons panel.
>
> tl;dr: Some of my models use SSS Scale (.0005). I have literally copied this
> value to the clipboard and pasted it into Notepad in order to see it, as
> part of my normal workflow.
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com <
> zanqdo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I constantly need to input decimal values smaller than the precision
>> shown in the UI. I propose making the precision dynamic. Normally it
>> shouldn't need more than 0.0 but if you type 0.0015 it should get that
>> amount of decimal spaces. BTW the rounding up of visible values is
>> terrible, by far not the solution
>>
>> any thoughts?
>>
>> Daniel Salazar
>> 3Developer.com