[Bf-committers] Let us switch to git, pretty please

Michael McLay mclay at mjmoi.com
Wed Jun 1 18:17:17 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Jim Williams <sphere1952 at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Git_vs_Mercurial
>
> Other than not particularly liking SVN I've no personal preference, but
> it looks like Mercurial would be a better match for Blender -- both in
> terms of a Python orientation and Windows support.

Is there a reason for only considering Git and Mecurial? A third widely used
DVCS is Bazaar. A transition from using Bazaar to Subversion is relatively
painless because many of the commands used in Subversion are used in Bazaar.
Much of Bazaar is written in Python with some modules rewritten in C for
performance.

Mirrors of 19 Blender branches <https://code.launchpad.net/blender> are
already available in Bazaar repositories using the VCS import feature of
Launchpad.net. The Blender trunk has been mirrored for over a year as
lp:blender <https://code.launchpad.net/%7Evcs-imports/blender/trunk>.
<https://code.launchpad.net/blender>

The following command will create a local copy of the trunk branch.

     bzr branch lp:blender

Checking out the branch took just over 8 minutes on a 16 MBit Comcast
connection. The checked out branch is stored in 221 MBytes.

I like the launchpad interface for browsing code as
files<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Evcs-imports/blender/trunk/files>or
as
changes <http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Evcs-imports/blender/trunk/changes>.
The diffs between revisions can be viewed as well, such as this example of a
revision summary<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Evcs-imports/blender/trunk/revision/25613>.