[Bf-committers] Weights range in vgroups

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 29 16:01:20 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Today on irc, Campbell pointed out an important point about current
WeightVG modifiers code : they allow weights to be out of the standard
[0.0, 1.0] range.

So the question is: does those modifiers have to clamp the weights to
that range (which would reduce their flexibility and power), or do we
accept that weights can have lower/higher values ?

This is obviously a quite important decision, which needs advices and
thoughts from all blender devs. :)

As for me, IMHO, the later would be the best solution – if a piece of
code really *needs* weights inside a given range, it’s easy to clamp
them at that moment… It’s a bit like floating point rgb values, in
pictures : it’s best to clamp them back to [0.0, 1.0] at the end, and do
compositing with full ranged values!

Regards,
Bastien