[Bf-committers] WeightVG modifiers and WeightPaint mode

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 28 20:53:04 CEST 2011

Hi blender coders!

I’d like to have your advice about a problem I’m facing with my WeightVG
modifiers.

When there is a *constructive* modifier higher in the stack, I can’t
paint at all weights in WP mode – nothing happens when I make strokes,
and it very quickly generates sigsevs (not always at the same place, but
the problem seems to occure most often in the MEM_mallocN allocation
inside copy_dverts()…).

As far as I can understand, the WP mode only works on base data (i.e.
ob->data Mesh stuff), so it shouldn’t be affected by modifiers?
Especialy if they copy the whole DerivedMesh before modifying the weights…

I really do not understand what’s going wrong here – but WeightPaint
code is not so easy to grasp, so I may be missing an important point…
I’ll continue to read and learn it, but if one of you had (even a start
of) an idea, it would be most welcomed! :D

Cheers,
Bastien